Top travel insurance providers
Compare Travel Insurance
If you’re looking for comprehensive travel insurance that works for you, consult our dedicated review table. We rank our verified insurers by real-world, vetted review scores, provided by real customers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do I Need Travel Insurance?
In 2016, 70.8 million UK residents travelled abroad, with a staggering £370 million paid out in travel insurance claims. While you might think travel insurance is an unnecessary expense, the alternative can cost you dearly. The cost of hospital treatment in foreign countries is rising, with many uninsured tourists paying thousands of pounds when something goes wrong abroad.
Regardless of whether or not you think you’re at risk, travel insurance is by far the best means of enjoying your holiday – without denting your finances if you fall ill or suffer an injury. Cover can start from little as £4.79, giving you peace of mind should the worst happen.
What Does Travel Insurance Typically Cover?
Travel insurance policies vary widely in terms of protection. Different policies offer different cover, depending on your where you’re going and who you’re going with. But as a general rule, they will usually cover you for the following:
- Cancellation or curtailment
- Lost or stolen baggage or belongings
- Personal liability
- Medical costs and repatriation
If you have a pre-existing medical condition, some travel insurers will not cover you. It is essential to find out whether any policy you are considering will provide you with sufficient protection if you have any health issues. Unless you have chosen a policy that covers winter sports such as skiing or snowboarding, travel cover will also exclude winter sports. Extreme sports such as bungee-jumping or skydiving also won’t be covered by most travel policies, so remember to check the small print before planning any adventurous activities.
While insurance providers will usually cover the cost of cancellation if you are unable to go on your holiday due to illness or family bereavement, policies will not pay out if you cancel because the weather looks bad or because you decide you can’t afford to go.
Remember, travel insurance won’t protect you if you travel to a country that the government advises against visiting. You can check which countries are high-risk at the Foreign and Commonwealth website at www.fco.gov.uk/travel.
Which Policy Is Right For Me?
The policy you need will vary depending on the type of travelling you’re doing. A couple of weeks by the beach, a skiing holiday or six months backpacking will all require different types of insurance. The most common types are as follows:
- Single Trip – Single trip travel insurance gives you the protection you need for one particular trip. Your trip will be covered for a host of circumstances, including cancellation, unforeseen medical costs and emergency repatriation.
- Multi-trip – Annual multi-trip travel insurance covers you for a number of trips within a 12 month period. Insurers differ in terms of how many consecutive days they’ll provide cover for, so make sure you check the small print of your policy.
- Worldwide – Worldwide travel insurance covers countries outside of the United States and European continent.
- Winter Sports – Winter sports travel insurance covers you if you’re injured on the slopes or if your ski or snowboarding equipment is lost or stolen.
- Couples – Couples travel insurance covers both you and your partner while travelling abroad. To qualify for couples insurance you need to be two adults aged 18 or over who live at the same address and are in a relationship.
- Family – Family travel insurance cover is aimed at families travelling together, with the party usually consisting of two adults and up to four children under 18.
When purchasing a travel insurance policy, you will need a policy with the right level of cover and inclusions for you. You should also be able to add extras to your policy for anything which isn’t included as standard, so always remember to read the small print.
Why Compare Policies With Compare By Review?
We are the first and only comparison site that focuses and ranks providers exclusively on customer experience and product quality. We analyse thousands of real customer experiences to provide a simple, impartial comparison of travel insurers so you can purchase the right policy that works best for you.